TRANSFERRING A KENTUCKY TITLED MOTOR VEHICLE OR TRAILER
In order to assure a vehicle is properly transferred please read and follow the instructions carefully. Paperwork relating to the transfer of a vehicle MUST be submitted to the County Clerk's Office before the transaction can be processed.
· Original title (no photocopies)
· Proof of current insurance (not needed on trailers). Insurance must be in the buyers name.
How to complete a transfer from one Kentucky individual to another Kentucky individual:
Procedures will depend on the "age" of your title. Follow the directions under the heading that best describes the Kentucky title that is being used to process your transfer of ownership.
7" by 8" Kentucky Title that was printed before 2/8/00
Complete the "assignment of title" on the back of your Kentucky Title. Complete the seller and buyer section of the Application for Kentucky Certificate of Title/Registration (TC 96-182). This form is commonly called a VTR form.
The Vehicle Identification Section along with the Seller and Buyer information should be completed and signed by both parties. All signatures must be notarized.
8 1/2" by 11" Kentucky Title that was printed 2/28/00 or later
Complete the "Transfer of Title by Owner" on the top portion of the back of your Kentucky Title. Do not use the First Dealer Assignment Section on the front of title, unless you are a registered dealership. Complete the Application for Title/Affidavit of Total Consideration on the bottom portion of the title. Note: Seller and buyer signatures are required in the "Transfer of Title" section and both are also required in the "Application for Title/Affidavit of Total Consideration" section, signatures must be notarized.
- The seller should sign his name on the back of the title exactly as it appears on the front.
- The seller's signature must be notarized on the back of the title. In the case of an older title not having a notary field, the seller's signature would then be notarized on the Application for Title (VTR form).
- In cases of joint ownership - "or", "and/or" require just one signature - "and" requires both signatures.
- The correct odometer reading is required.
- The Title and VTR may be completed and notarized outside the County Clerk's Office. In such cases anyone may bring the paperwork in for processing.
- If the buyer or seller's signature is notarized by the County Clerk's Office, the person must appear in person with a valid picture ID.
- The buyer must provide proof of current insurance on the vehicle being transferred. Original card must include name/effective date/VIN.
- Usage tax is based on 6% of purchase price when using a Total Consideration Affidavit. If not, the vehicle is taxed on 6% of the retail NADA value.
- Any delinquent tax on the vehicle being transferred must be paid before transfer.
- A license plate must be current in order to transfer the vehicle.
A "Title Only" requires the current plate to be surrendered and proof of insurance is not required.
USAGE TAX EXEMPT MOTOR VEHICLE TRANSFERS
An exempt transfer is only allowed if the vehicle is registered in KY. The following are instances when a vehicle may be transferred between individuals without paying usage tax:
The following items are needed to complete the transfer:
If the vehicle has a special plate of any type, that plate must be surrendered and a regular plate issued at an additional charge. If you need help filling out any of the forms mentioned here, please call the Taylor County Clerk's Office Vehicle Registration Department, at 270-465-6677.